There are several types in Atlan that are intended for use primarily through the APIs and SDKs:
- Relational databases, schemas, tables, views, columns (and more)
- Object store assets:
- Business intelligence assets:
- API specs and paths
Asset creation order¶
When creating data assets in Atlan, the order in which you create them is important.
- At the top level of all data assets in Atlan is the Connection. Connections are the basis for access control, so you must create (or use an existing) connection before you can create any other assets.
- You must then create each subsequent level of the data asset's structure(s) in parent-first order.
You can bulk-create assets at the same level
While parent assets must exist before creating child assets, you can create multiple assets at the same level all at the same time.
Example: relational database structure
- You must first create a Connection (or decide to reuse an existing one).
- You can then create any number Databases within that connection, at the same time.
- You can then create any number of Schemas within any of those databases, at the same time.
- You can then create any number of Tables or Views within any of those schemas, at the same time.
- And you can then finally create any number of Columns within any of those tables or views, at the same time.