Structurally custom metadata is composed of:
- An overall name (sometimes referred to as a "set")
- Individual attributes contained within that "set"
- (Optional) Restrictions on which assets can possess values for the custom metadata
What's special about custom metadata?
Firstly, custom metadata gives you a way to define your own attributes for assets. In addition, on top of custom metadata attributes you can create badges to callout important information on assets.
You can also "brand" custom metadata to provide quick visual distinction:
- Choose from a predefined list of emojis
- Or even upload your own image to use as an icon to represent the custom metadata
This "branding" will also be used for any badges you create over the custom metadata attributes.